"The decrees of God are His eternal purpose, according to the counsel of His will, whereby, for His own glory, He has foreordained whatsoever comes to pass." Shorter Catechism
Simply stated, God is God. He is Lord of everything. He who created the world, people, the animals, the shade trees, the existence of time and everything else, was no other than God. Because He is God, He maintains everything. There is not one gravel, one leaf, one person that He is not maintaining. In fact He says He maintains our lot.
He rules everything. He upholds everything.
Because God lives and rules all things there is nothing outside of His will. We call His will His ordained, predestined will. That's what the Bible calls it!
If God's predestined will were like your and my will, He would be changing His mind, so-to-speak, all the time, the way we do. Unlike us, God says He is God and He does not change.
Now, the BIG question arises about how to reconcile this truth in our thinking, especially since God made us with a will. You have probably thought just like I have, reasoning that if God predestined all things, then you and I have no freedom and are simply robots without a will of our own. And we know that is not correct.
The truth is that you and I have a will and God has a will. It's like a railroad track. One side is the sovereignty of God and the other is the free-will of man. Both operate together at the very same time. God's will does not cancel our your and my will, and your and my will does not cancel out or change God's will.
It's a mystery we will never fully understand until we are in Heaven. We walk by faith and not by what we can see. Walking by faith means we trust God's Word to be true, because He is true. And furthermore, every jot and tittle of the Bible is completely true. God's Word is settled forever in Heaven.
In order to accept God's truths, we must constantly be reading and studying His Word, otherwise we will foolishly live as if there is no God. We will think everything happens by chance and we are in control of everything.
What Does God Require in the 5th Commandment?
The 5th Commandment requires the preserving the honor, and performing the duties, belonging to every one in their different places in life and in their relationships as either
superiors, inferiors, or equals.
What is forbidden in the 5th Commandment?
The 5th commandment forbids
the neglecting of,
or doing any thing against,
the honor and duty which belongs to every one in their different places
and in their relationships.
What Is The Reason That Is Added To the 5th Commandment?
The reason that is added is a promise of long life and properity
(as far as it shall serve for God's glory and their own good)
to all who keep this commandment
1. Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands, as unto the Lord (Ephesians 5:22). Children obey your parents in the Lord (Ephesians 6:1). Let every soul be subject to the higher powers (Romans 13:1).
2. You masters, act on the same [principle] toward them, and give up threatening and using violent and abusive words, knowing that He Who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and that there is no repsect of persons - no partiality - with Him(Ephesians 6:9 Amplified Bible).
3. Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love: in honor preferring one another (Romans 12:10.
4. Render therefore to all their dues (Romans 13:7).
5. Honor thy father and mother: (which is the first commandment with promise) (Ephesians 6:2).
Ina Manly Painter
105 Center Park Dr., Suite 200
Knoxville, TN 37922
Or use our contact form.